Monday, May 4, 2009

High school photo

This photo was taken when I was on the Freshman basketball team. We were not a very good team which is evidenced by the fact that I was the only one with a face.

Photobucket

I think our record was about 6-12. That was because I hardly ever played, of course. I scored 2 points that season.

The following year, when about 6 of us were junior varsity we were much better. I think we finished 12-6 that season but finished 7-1 in our last 8 games. I lit up the scoreboard for 5 points during that season including a three point play in front of the home crowd. I don't have a picture of that, unfortunately.

I should mention that this photo was posted in response to snowangel and Simon posting their earlier photos. Go check theirs out too.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, what kind of scary-ass high school did you go to? Where are all the faces?

    You look pretty awesome though!

    p.s. I was a Spartan too, and we were terrible at everything, even swimming.

    http://hisnhertowels.typepad.com/jamie/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we sucked at everything except skiing and girls tennis and girls soccer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was fortunate enough to be so bad at all sports that there was never any question of my playing on a school team – though I suspect that inter-school sports events were, and probably still are, more of a feature of US culture than that of Britain. We still had them of course, but I think it was part of the post-war philosophy that being competition with each other in anything other than school exams was bad for kids’ morale… or something.

    Either that or the risk of facial mutilation of course, as is borne out by your photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't very good at basketball then. I think I made the team more because of my ability to show up on time and to actually work hard in practice. I certainly never got much time on the court when the outcome was still undetermined.

    By tenth grade I had developed a role and that was to mutilate the faces of the other teams' players.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A skill you obviously learned on the Freshman team.

    Is it safe to say 22 turned out to be gay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know the answer to that but I do know that 51 would be happy to hear you ask that question because he hated 22 for pulling his gym shorts down in 4th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Probably because 22 wanted to see 51's penis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice! you had some hair back then!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I have very thick hair and back then I used to do this thing where I parted it in the middle and then the bangs would look almost like horns. At least I didn't have 23's pubic hair head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So you're saying 23 was Jewish?

    ReplyDelete