Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Beast

I was reading comments from fans on ESPN.com and came across this one:

"I know Bull fans and Celtic haters are thinking that the Celtics will lose in Chicago, but you gotta remember that Paul Pierce hasn't had a good game yet. So you never know what factors can round into a game. You're not always gonna get beast games from Rose or Gordon to bail you out. I'm a Laker fan and I hate the Celtics as much as the next guy, but I'm just saying that the Bulls can't relax just because they are at home now. "

I added the emphasis on "beast."

Brandon walks around talking about how beast things are and how beast he is and how beast everything is... unless it is epic. Sometimes things are both beast and epic.

I guess my reaction is similar to what my father's reaction was when I started calling things "massive" and "awesome" back in the early 1980's. The difference is that "massive" and "awesome" where always adjectives. I'm not sure when "beast" changed its part of speech.

I have never really used the word "beast" all that much except for a couple of years in college when people referred to what they were drinking as "The Beast." The Beast was the nickname for Milwaukee's Best Beer which is far from beast by today's standards. It was cheap though. Of course, sometimes it was hard to get ahold of beer in those days so just having some of the Beast was beast enough for the night.

6 comments:

  1. Have you explained to Brandon that, "I remember back in the day, when Beast was a beer and Epic was a hit song by Faith No More! Damn kids these days!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I have said, "You want it all but you can't have it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm assuming, when he calls something "Epic," that you also say, "it's so groovy, it's outta sight!"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. we are getting old; 'wicked' was the word we used over here when brandon's age i think

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wicked is very 1970's, early 80's. Unless you live in Boston, in which case it is very 2009.

    Wicked is in, the Boston Bruins are doing well in the playoffs, I think pretty soon you'll hear nothing but Sweet and Bay City Rollers on Boston radio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everything Steve just said. Somehow, wicked stayed around in Boston.

    ReplyDelete